In today’s competitive market, you need all the edge you can find to sell your home for the most amount of money in the shortest period of time. Staging your home is just one small step to huge profits! Removing clutter and depersonalizing your home allows buyers to really visualize their belongings being in the home. Ultimately most people have a difficult time seeing spacial issues and where they would put the TV or the bed, etc. Therefore, creating this imagery for them goes a long way in getting more money for your home in a short period of time.
Below is a list of things you should consider in preparation for staging your home..
Pre-staging Do’s & Don’ts
In Every Room
- Unhealthy plants
- Worn hall/area/bath rugs
- Pet beds, bowls, toys, etc.
Don’t Forget to:
- Check all light fixtures for cleaning or changing bulbs
- Dust and check ceiling and ceiling fans for cobwebs
- Clean/deodorize carpets and drapery (if needed)
- Minimize audio/video technology (especially unsightly chords)
- Patch all holes and touch up paint
- Fruit bowl
- Oils (2 or 3)
- Coffee pot/espresso machine
- Mixer only if there is enough counter space
- Clear counters of all packaged food, knives, and extra appliances
Don’t Leave out:
- Personal items on counters and showers/Tubs
- Cleaning supplies (toilet brush, etc.)
- All personal items from nightstands and dressers.
- Hide hamper in closet
- Keep beds made everyday
- Keep sheets clean
Don’t Leave out:
- Loose papers/files
- Excess books – store away
- Excess computer accessories – store away
- Personal documents, file away out of site
- Remove all ornaments/statues
- Remove kid and pet toys
- Wash windows inside and out
- Power wash porch & patio (20% bleach/80% water)
- Plant some bright flowers near walk ways
- Cover any bare patches with mulch or bark
* Before you even begin this process, go out and purchase different sized boxes, bubble wrap and sharpies…you need to have a place to put your items.
* Remember…This is the time to purge, purge, purge! Don’t pack up stuff that you don’t need or want anymore…Donate or trash it!
* If you have pets, it’s best to have them locked up in their crate and out of sight during showings…it’s safest for your pets as well as less distracting to your potential buyers.
*I highly recommend an odor neutralizer such as Lysol neutral air sanitizing spray…NOT a fragrance!
Good luck! This is hard work but I promise it pays off in the end!
Additionally, here are some before and after photos to assist you in personally seeing the difference between decluttering and appropriately staging.